The Largs Bay School has an Autism Inclusion Teacher, Cathy King and also uses the Minilit Sage and MacqLit intervention programs delivered by Geraldine Radomski
Our Intervention Team
John Burns – Principal
John began his career as a Physical Education specialist and upper primary classroom teacher. He then served as a Principal in the South East of SA for seven years.
He served as a Head of School / Executive Principal for nineteen years in International Schools, leading Reception to Year 12 schools, from 150 to 900 students.
After nineteen years of working internationally, John returned home to Adelaide with his family to end 2021, taking up the position of Principal at East Torrens Primary School in 2022.
John looks forward to serving the Largs Bay School community. He enjoys being part of schools with a dynamic vision, inspiring values and a clear site improvement plan. He also enjoys communities where students are proud of their school, their personal development and taking action in the world around them.
– John has been an Executive Board Member for International Baccalaureate (IB) World Heads Council.
– He served as National Director / Chairperson for the Australian Chamber of Commerce (AUSCHAM) in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
– He serves as a Council of International Schools (CIS) Accreditation Team Member and Chairperson.
South Australian Experience
– Principal, Largs Bay School, Adelaide, SA (2023)
– Principal, East Torrens Primary School, Adelaide, SA (2022)
– Principal, Glencoe Central Primary School, South Australia (1998 – 2001)
– Principal, Tarpeena Primary School, South Australia, (1994 – 1997)
– Head of School, International School of Paris, France (2018 – 2021)
– Head of School, Pechersk School International, Kyiv, Ukraine (2013 – 2018)
– Head of School, Australian International School Saigon, Vietnam (2007 – 2013)
– Head of School , Medan International School, North Sumatra, Indonesia (2002 – 2007)
– Primary School – Classroom teacher, Physical Education specialist
– Middle School – English, Humanities, Information Technology, EALD
Cathy King - Autism Inclusion Teacher / Intervention
The Largs Bay School Autism Inclusion Teacher is Cathy King. Autism Inclusion Teachers are a new, nation-leading initiative which aims to build educator understanding and knowledge around supporting autistic children and young people.
Cathy has decades of experience in the classroom and has spent time building her own teaching expertise, knowledge and understanding of autism through engaging in formal learning offerings and participation in the Autism Inclusion Teacher networks. To improve knowledge and practice across the school, Cathy’s role is to then share her learnings and resources with her colleagues to utilise in teaching autistic children and young people in their own classes.
Geraldine Radomski - Mini-Lit Sage and MacqLit
Geraldine Radomski leads our MiniLit Sage and MacqLit intervention programs. Geraldine works with small groups of students for up to an hour a day, multiple times a week, using the carefully structured MiniLit and MacqLit program materials.
Each MiniLit lesson has three main components: – Sounds and Words Activities – where children learn to pay attention to the different sounds in words and to associate them with the letters of the alphabet – Text Reading – which gives children the chance to practise their new skills – Story Book Reading – which involves the teacher reading and discussing a story book with the students, to help improve their vocabulary and comprehension.
MacqLit uses research-based teaching methods which require a high level of student engagement. The lessons are a mix of reading and spelling tasks which cover phonemic awareness, phonics, fluency, vocabulary and comprehension.
Geraldine closely monitors each child’s progress through regular short progress monitoring activities as well as through more formal testing. Over time, the goal being, that parents notice their child reading with more independence and with greater accuracy and fluency.